weaning to solids : 6 months


When Arianna turned 6 months old (way back in June 2008), I started with these (in that particular order - every 3-4 days)
~white rice
~apple
~banana
~sweet potato
~'air zam zam' (usually it's cooled boiled water)
~'ciku'
~carrot
~broccoli
~barley
~papaya
~'kailan'
~brown rice

I did not cook the porridge, ie cook the rice real soft, and blend it like (I think) my mom used to do. Instead I milled the white rice, brown rice and barley into fine flour (imagine the Neslac in tin), and cook it: 2 tablespoon to 3/4 cups of water. I then dilute it with a little bit of EBM to give it a familiar taste.


I did not really puree (blend and sieve) the veggies. Instead I just used the blender/food processor till the food is real fine. Malas la guna sieve :) Plus you're gonna sieve out all the fibre bits.


For the fruits, the soft fruits like papaya, banana and 'ciku', we just mashed it up. I initially steamed the papaya, but it became too mushy and sweet. 






6 Response to "weaning to solids : 6 months"

  1. Unknown Says:

    Rajin betul u..I skrg dh jadi malas nak buat makanan Zuleyka because she's refusing all the bubur that I cook :(
    Yes it's so easy to mix something up from the tin/box when the baby taknak makan homecooked food..especially when there are other kids in the house that have different needs and kerena huu huu
    Kena kumpul willpower & try lagi sekali ni..for the umpteenth time hee hee..

  2. Hanim Says:

    I've no choice initially, she was allergic to so many things. Nak beli pun, kena tgk ada milk powder tak.

    I think it's healthier for me to cook for her, plus I had the excuse to get the cooking books (last2 jarang guna pun hehe).

    Tapi anak I sorang je... cannot imagine 4 :) Wondered how my mom layan the 4 of us?

  3. Unknown Says:

    Ya lor..i pun tanya jugak my mom how did she ever handle us 4 girls when we were growing up..? She told me that we (i.e. me the No. 1 and my sis the No. 2) helped around a lot..ye la jarak umur pun beza jugak..no wonder most of the old pics of me was always holding my no. 3 and no. 4 sis :P

  4. Hanim Says:

    Hehe I no 2, selalu tolong jaga no 3, no 4 :)

    But Hubby tak nak ramai2... so tak merasa la jaga anak 4 org like u :) Can only imagine how busy it can be.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    Nim, my baby food owed to slow cooker, i just campur segala I meant rice, broccoli, carrot, potato & ikan bilis (already goreng tanpa minyak & blender jadi serbuk). But, bukan semua I campur, alternate between those & rice as the main.

    So around 11pm, on the slow cooker around 6 am masuk blender, siap! Watery but very thick like nestum coz I takut nak bagi yang just chop2 since my baby only got 2 teeth.

  6. Ummi Salsabila Says:

    very interesting..i should try it :)

Post a Comment