14 months

We haven't had her latest shot, MMR because she was having bronchiolitis at 1 year check up (not to mention, did not weigh, measure her length due to her screaming).
We postponed the shot, plus Dr. Eric was saying he'd prefer giving that at 15 months, and give the chicken pox jab first. I came across this article on Dr. Sears website:

Separate Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccines No Longer Available? What Can Parents Do?

Here's the summary:
In the vaccine book I clearly state that vaccines are important, and that I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. Each vaccine can have a serious side effect, but in most cases this is rare. The MMR, however, is unique in that it is a triple live virus vaccine, and therefore has a more extensive list of possible reactions. These reactions mimic what the actual disease complications can be. Some of these reactions are very serious. Yes, the serious reactions are extremely rare, but it is a risk nonetheless. However, vaccinating for the MMR diseases is also a very important individual and public health concern. Measles will continue to increase if parents don’t vaccinate. Rubella may come back. The more people that don’t vaccinate, the more likely this is to happen.
I have presented the options here. It’s not based on what the right or wrong decision is. It all comes down to what you as a parent and individual believe about the safety of the MMR and the risks of the three diseases. Remember, my alternative vaccine schedule isn’t a reflection of what I believe all parents should do. It is a suggestion for parents who are more worried about vaccines than the average person, and want to vaccinate their child more carefully. Splitting the MMR was part of that approach, but now it’s not an option for the foreseeable future. If I was to have written my alternative vaccine schedule without the separate vaccines, it would probably look something like this: MMR at age one and five, with an asterisk that says if you are worried about a reaction to the MMR, wait until age 4 to get the first (and only) dose, or get it sooner if your child will be entering early preschool (and possibly need a booster dose around age 5 or 6).


I think we should pay a visit to the paediatrician soon, although we still haven't done the thalassaemia screen (of both of us).

Reactions: 

0 Response to "14 months"

Post a Comment